I have been trying to find ways to integrate essential oils into our lifestyle more since there are hundreds of benefits from them. I was already using this detergent recipe (which literally comes out to 1 cent per load!). I added a few essential oils to enhance the smell but also reap the health benefits. Have you all seen Lindsay Coletta’s work yet? She is an all star when it comes to floral design and she styled this shoot for me! And you might be able to guess by how beautiful these photos turned out that the photography is by Haley Sheffield. My dream team! - Anna
Lavender or Lemon Essential Oil
Balance Essential Oil blend
1/2 c. Borax
1 Bar Soap (I use Fels-Naptha or Ivory)
1 c. Baking Soda
5 Gallon Bucket
To use as gifts, head to Hobby Lobby in the bottle section for those pictured above! You can add some lemons and flowers to complete a gift basket:)
Instructions: There are several versions for the base detergent on the web, but this is what I have found most successful.
1) Grate your entire bar of soap with a cheese grater.
2) Boil a teapot of water and add 5 cups to a pan. Add your grated soap bar. Stir over medium with a wooden spoon until fully melted.
3) Fill your 5 gallon bucket with hot water and stir in the borax, baking soda, and soap mixture till dissolved. Use a giant ladel or spoon to stir.
4) Add in several drops of each essential oil you choose to use. This will enhance the smell and benefit stress and anxiety relief!
5) Fill the rest of the bucket with cold water and stir again. Cover and let sit overnight.
6) In the morning you will have a gel type liquid. You may need to stir it up before you use each time.